YWCA Central Alabama is working every day to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all. We serve women, children, and families in adverse circumstances, whether they live in poverty or in fear for their lives. YWCA meets critical needs by providing child care, domestic violence services, affordable housing, and social justice programming.
Here's a look at how YWCA Central Alabama changed lives in 2018:
- provided 14,152 days of care to 121 children in the child development Calico Corner and Kids Korner programs for children of homeless and low-income families
- delivered 4,827 days of academic and enrichment activities to 77 children in our after-school and summer programs
- distributed 2,685 toys and gifts to 552 children through Santa's Workshop
- trained 10 single mothers as certified vision assistants and provided them with childcare
- provided 10,503 nights of safety for 226 adults and 211 children in two shelters and responded to 1,688 calls to the Crisis Hotline (205.322.4878)
- guided 4,424 victims through the courts and provided legal services to 272 survivors
- taught 1,677 students about healthy dating relationships and delivered domestic violence outreach and training to 2,949 individuals
- delivered safe visitation and exchange services to 231 men, women and children
- provided 86,007 nights of safe, affordable housing to 318 low-income individuals, including elderly and disabled residents and those transitioning from homelessness
- delivered 7,270 nights of shelter to 22 homeless families.
- served 323 adults and 362 children in the Woodlawn community through arts, educational and healthy lifestyle programs
- distributed 549 food boxes to those in need
- 40 AmeriCorps members contributed 63,697 hours of service to the YWCA, our partner agencies and the community
- equipped 670 youth and adults to break down barriers and build bridges through leadership and training programs
- advocated for fair lending practices at rallies reaching 140 community members and policymakers
- awarded 10,106 clothing items to 773 people and provided 324 prom dresses to girls through My Sister's Closet
To receive a bound copy of our Annual Report, please contact the YWCA Communications Department at 205.322.9922, ext. 307.