Transitional Housing for Single Women

The YWCA’s Transitional Housing Program was created for homeless women making the difficult transition from living in an emergency shelter to becoming economically self-sufficient. The program includes housing and supportive services that help individuals regain stability as they move toward independent living and permanent housing. 

What is this housing like?

The YWCA maintains 9 furnished, one-bedroom transitional apartments in downtown Birmingham. Residency generally ranges from six to 18 months. Monthly rent, which includes utilities, varies by income but never exceeds $275. Each one-bedroom unit includes a galley kitchen equipped with a stove, microwave, refrigerator and sink and a private bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower. Community laundry machines are located on each residential floor. Supportive services, including one-on-one case management, financial literacy, job skills and transportation assistance, are available for residents. To view an apartment unit, click here

The YWCA has 24-hour staff coverage.  Access to housing floors is limited to residents and guests. Male visitors over the age of 12 are not allowed. A security guard is on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Who is eligible?

Individuals interested in assistance and shelter through the YWCA’s Transitional Housing Program must be homeless according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s definition and must meet the following criteria:

  • Single female
  • At least 19 years of age
  • Not a full-time student, unless the student is:
    • married and filing a joint federal income tax return or eligible to file a joint return;
    • Receiving assistance under Title IV of the Social Security Act (i.e. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), or was previously under the care and placement responsibility of the State agency responsible for administering a plan under part B or part E of Title IV of the Social Security Act; or
    • Participating in a job-training program funded through the Workforce Investment Act.

Income Requirements

Household must meet an annual income threshold of $5,000. The applicant's income may not exceed applicable income limits designated for this property; these income limits change annually and are based on HUD income limits for the area and household.

How do I apply?

If you believe you or someone you know is in need of transitional housing and might meet the criteria noted on this site, contact the YWCA at (205) 322-9922 ext. 178 for more information or visit the housing contact page here.