Transitional Housing For Single Women

The YWCA Central Alabama offers a transitional housing program for low-income single women. 

What is this housing like?

The YWCA has partially furnished one-bedroom apartment units and four partially furnished efficiency units in downtown Birmingham for transitional residence. Each unit includes a galley kitchen and private bathroom. Community laundry machines are located on each residential floor. Rent, including utilities, varies by income but does not exceed $275.00 per month. To view an apartment unit, click here

 The YWCA provides 24-hour security to ensure a safe, well-protected environment.  Access to housing floors is limited to residents and guests. 

Who is eligible?

Individuals interested in transition housing must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Single female without dependents
  • At least 19 years of age
  • Receive an annual income of at least $7,000
  • Is currently homeless as a result of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking, for whom emergency shelter services or other crisis intervention services are unavailable or insufficient.

Income Requirements

Household must meet an annual income threshold of $7,000. Income may not exceed applicable income limits designated for this property; these income limits change annually and are based on HUD income limits for this area and household.

How do I apply?

If you or someone you know is looking for transitional housing, email the housing office or call 205.322.7867.


Note: The YWCA accepts Shelter Plus Care (S+C) and Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8), though having such assistance is not a requirement for housing.