October 1, 2021
In 1981, the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) observed a Day of Unity to unite advocates in the field working against domestic violence. Soon it became a week. In 1987, it was celebrated as a full month, what we now know as Domestic Violence Awareness Month. This month was also when the first national hotline was initiated. Twenty years later and every year since U.S. Congress passed Public Law 101-112 identifying October as National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
We will be hosting multiple events this month for individuals to engage with to help educate themselves and raise awareness about domestic violence:
- Monday, Oct. 4 - Day of Unity: Jeans & Purple Shirt Day
- Tuesday, Oct. 12 - Dynamics of Intimate Partner Violence & Veterans webinar
- Saturday, Oct. 16 - Megan Montgomery Memorial 5K Walk/Run
- Monday, Oct. 18 - Purple Lipstick Day
- Friday, Oct. 22 - Blount County Office Open House
- Friday, Oct. 22 - In Her Shoes virtual simulation
- Thursday, Oct. 21 - Domestic Violence Vigil (virtual)
- Monday, Oct. 25 - In Her Shoes virtual simulation
- Wednesday, Oct. 27 - In Her Shoes virtual simulation
- Friday, Oct. 29 - YWe Talk: Suffering in Silence
We hope you will join us in standing against domestic violence. Please continue to check back for updated information on each of the above events.